It’s National Popcorn Poppin’ Month
October is National Popcorn Poppin’ Month! Test your popcorn IQ with this pop quiz about one of America’s oldest and most beloved snacks. Pop up a fresh bowl for inspiration.
1. American eats how much popcorn each year?
a. 16 billion tons
b. 16 billion liters
c. 16 billion quarts
d. 16 billion stone
2. “Zea Mays Everta” is what?
a. The motto (in Latin) of Popcorn University meaning “Long Live Popcorn”
b. Popcorn’s scientific name
c. The name of the woman who discovered popcorn
d. What Native Americans used to call popcorn
3. The world’s first mobile popcorn machine weighed 400 to 500 pounds and was often pulled by a…
a. Young boy
d. Circus flea
4. Popcorn explodes when ….
a. The water inside is superheated and turns the starch to a gelatinized goop
b. The gelatinized goop reaches about 347degrees
c. The pressure inside the kernel reaches about 135 pounds per square inch
d. All of the above
5. Popcorn grows on a stalk, which has several WHAT growing on it?
6. How big are popcorn kernels after they pop?
a. 2–3 times the original size
b. 10 times the original size
c. 20 times the original size
d. 35–40 times the original size
7. Long before the advent of the corn flake, Ella Kellogg ate popcorn ground with milk or cream for breakfast.
8. There are six types of corn:
a. Popcorn, sweet, dent, flint, pod
b. Popcorn, sweet, ground, field, Indian, cracked
c. Popcorn, sweet, dent, flint, flour, pod
d. Popcorn, sweet, field, ground, flint, nut
9. Popcorn kernels need HOW MUCH moisture to pop?
a. 3.5–4% water
b. 13.5–14% water
c. 18.5–20% water
d. 100% water
10. If you dry a kernel of sweet corn, it will pop just like popcorn when heated.
11. Popcorn is a…
a. Whole Grain
b. Fiber source
d. All of the above
12. In 1945, an engineer named Percy Spencer used popcorn in his efforts to develop the:
b. Popcorn popper
c. Microwave oven
d. Scratch-n-sniff technology
13. Air-popped popcorn has how many calories per cup?
a. 31 calories
b. 41 calories
c. 51 calories
d. 61 calories
14. One of the earliest methods of popping popcorn involved:
a. Wrapping kernels in layers of animal fat and placing in a clay pot over an open flame
b. Placing kernels in a covered pot in the hot sun to warm for several hours
c. Wrapping heated stones and kernels together in an animal skin
d. Mixing unpopped kernels with extremely hot sand
15. When a popcorn kernel is heated, the hard outer surface acts like WHAT kitchen appliance?
a. Pressure Cooker
d. Food Processor