Happy Popcorn Poppin' Month!
Popcorn lovers rejoice: October is National Popcorn Poppin’ Month, a seasonal celebration of one of America’s oldest and most beloved snack foods. As farmers head into the fields to harvest crops, families and friends gather to honor this ever-popular treat. Whether stovetop, microwave or ready-to-eat, we consume 15 billion quarts each year of this wholesome, whole grain.
Having been long regarded as a sign of good times, popcorn has found a new appreciation by today’s lean and green consumer. Celebrated for its seed-to-snack simplicity, popcorn is also non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free and naturally low in fat and calories, which makes it an easy fit for the dietary conscious. And it’s budget-friendly. A quart of popped popcorn costs as little as 15 cents.
Add in popcorn’s irresistible smell, taste, and versatility and it’s easy to understand its popularity. With so many different ways to eat it—plain, buttery, or loaded with goodies—popcorn always fits the mood or occasion.
Pop up a bowl and join the Popcorn Poppin’ Month celebration. For a special seasonal snack, try the following recipe!
Cranberry & Chocolate Spiced Popcorn
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes (+ 20 minutes cooling time)
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 oz dark chocolate, melted
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- In large bowl, toss together popcorn, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, coconut oil, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Lay mixture flat on parchment paper–lined tray. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes or until chocolate sets. Break apart into chunks.