Power Packed Popcorn Cookies
Who knew cookies could be tasty AND good for you?
Yield: 4 dozen cookies
- 1/4 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit, chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or chopped nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Lightly spray baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together and add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir in flour mixture and wheat germ and oatmeal until well blended.
- Add coconut, popcorn, raisins and sunflower seeds, if desired, and mix until well blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto baking sheet, allowing 2 inches between cookies to allow for spreading.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool on pan 5 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.
Per 1 cup:
2.5 g total fat
1.5 g saturated fat
10 mg cholesterol
75 mg sodium
10 g carbohydrates
1 g fiber
7 g sugar
1 g protein
60 mg potassium