Nacho Nooch Popcorn
Nutritional yeast takes the place of cheese in this south-of-the-border popcorn fiesta!
Yield: 10 cups
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- sea salt
- Place oil in large, heavy-bottomed pot (with a lid). Add about 3 popcorn kernels.
- Heat over medium-high heat until a kernel pops. Add remaining popcorn; cover.
- Once corn begins to pop, shake pot constantly over heat.
- When popping slows, remove pot from heat and transfer popcorn to a large bowl.
- Place nutritional yeast and garlic powder in small bowl. Slowly add 1/2 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper sauce, a few drops at a time, stirring with fork to blend it very well.
- Melt butter and mix in remaining ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper sauce. Pour mixture over popcorn, and toss.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast mixture over popcorn and toss to distribute evenly.
- Add salt to taste. If you like an even hotter and spicier taste, sprinkle on a dried cayenne pepper spice blend to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
- Popcorn is a whole grain that provides carbohydrates and fiber to the diet and is naturally low in fat and calories.
- One cup of air-popped popcorn contains between 15-30 calories while oil-popped contains 40-55 calories.
- Eating fiber helps make you feel fuller longer.
- Consuming at least 3 - or more - ounce equivalents of whole grains per day can reduce the risk of several chronic diseases and may help with weight maintenance.
6 g total fat
2.5 g saturated fat
10 mg cholesterol
35 mg sodium
7 g carbohydrates
2 g fiber
0 g sugar
2 g protein
38 mg potassium