Chocolate Popcorn Biscotti
Sturdy Italian cookies just got a healthy infusion of popcorn goodness!
Yield: 24-28 cookies
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 cups air-popped popcorn, ground in food processor or blender
- 2 1/4-2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine egg substitute, vanilla, and 1 cup sugar in large bowl; mix well.
- Add popcorn, flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder and mix well; dough will be stiff but continue mixing until all ingredients are well combined.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar on work surface; divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll dough into 8 by 4 by 1/2-inch logs and roll in sugar lightly on all sides.
- Transfer logs to baking sheet, leaving a space between them.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow "logs" to cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut logs diagonally into 1/2 inch slices.
- Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes; turn cookies over and bake 5-10 minutes longer until lightly browned and crisp on both sides.
- Cool cookies and store in airtight container.
1 g total fat
0 g saturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
180 mg sodium
37 g carbohydrates
3 g fiber
18 g sugar
5 g protein
135 mg potassium