Popcorn Caramel Apples
Popcorn adds just the perfect crunchy addition to these indulgent caramel apples
Yield: 4 apples
- 1 quart freshly popped popcorn
- 1 (9.5 ounce) package caramels, unwrapped (35 caramels)
- 1/4 cup light cream or “half and half’
- 4 lollipop sticks (or wooden candy apple sticks)
- 4 apples
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Sugar sprinkles
- Decorative ribbon, optional
- Place popcorn in a large bowl; set aside. Place a sheet of waxed paper on work surface.
- Heat caramels and cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until caramels are melted and cream is blended into caramels.
Push a stick into an apple center and dip into caramel. Spoon caramel over apple to coat.
- Place caramel-coated apple into bowl of popcorn and press popcorn onto caramel to cover. Place apple on waxed paper to set; repeat with remaining apples.
- Place chocolate chips in a small, resealable plastic bag. Microwave 10 seconds and press chips to aid melting. Repeat, heating at 10-second intervals, until chips are completely melted. Cut a small corner off bag and squeeze chocolate onto each apple allowing chocolate to drip down sides. Sprinkle with sugar sprinkles.
- Tie a bow to each apple stick, if desired. To serve, cut apple into slices.
Per 1 cup:
16 g total fat
7 g saturated fat
10 mg cholestrol
180 mg sodium
99 g carbohydrates
6 g fiber
78 g sugar
6 g protein
186 mg potassium