The ice cream sandwich just got an upgrade. Popcorn adds to the yum factor.
Yield: 12 dessert sandwiches
- 2 1/2 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 6-ounce package chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 pints brick-style vanilla ice cream.
- Keep popcorn warm. In a three-quart saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, vinegar and salt.
- Cook and stir until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook until hard ball stage (250 degrees Fahrenheit on candy thermometer).
- Pour syrup over popped popcorn; stir to coat.
- Add chocolate pieces and nuts; stir just to mix.
- Pour into two 13 x 9 x 2 inch pans, spreading and packing firmly.
- In each pan, cut 12 rectangles.
- Cut each pint of ice cream into 6 slices.
- Sandwich ice cream between two popcorn rectangles.