Popcorn Crusted Macaroni and Cheese
Yes, it's possible. Mac and cheese just got better. Thank you, popcorn!
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1-8 ounces (2 cups) package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 cups popped popcorn
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter an 8x8-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, mustard, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in milk and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens; about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Stir macaroni into sauce; pour macaroni mixture into prepared pan.
- Melt remaining tablespoon of butter and toss with popcorn and parsley flakes.
- Spread popcorn over macaroni and bake 10 minutes.
Per 1 cup:
36 g total fat
19 g saturated fat
90 mg cholesterol
770 mg sodium
60 g carbohydrates
1 g fiber
7 g sugar
26 g protein
162 mg potassium