Salted Margarita Popcorn
This light caramel popcorn is accented with zesty lime, tequila, brown sugar and sea salt for a fun snack that’s based on a classic summer cocktail.
Yield: 8 Servings
8 cups popcorn
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup liquid honey
2 tablespoons freshly grated lime zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup tequila
2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray large bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer popcorn to prepared bowl.
- In heavy-bottomed medium saucepan set over medium heat, stir together brown sugar, butter, honey, lime juice, tequila and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until sugar mixture is golden brown and has reached the hard-ball stage. To test, add a few drops of sugar syrup to a glass of ice-cold water; if the sugar syrup solidifies, the mixture is ready.
- Stir in baking soda. (The caramel may foam.) Working quickly and carefully, pour caramel over popcorn, stirring to evenly coat.
- Arrange popcorn mixture on prepared baking sheet, spreading into an even layer. Sprinkle with lime zest and remaining salt. Let set until firm.
Tip: Add 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest for another citrus accent if desired.